- 1 Traveling to Da Nang
- 1.1 What to do in Da Nang? Top things to see and do in Da Nang.
- 1.1.1 Visiting the Museum of Cham Sculpture
- 1.1.2 Discovering Ba Na Hills by cable car
- 1.1.3 Relaxing at the beautiful beaches in Da Nang
- 1.1.4 Visiting the Marble Mountains
- 1.1.5 Passing the Ocean Cloud Pass
- 1.1.6 Son Tra Peninsula and Linh Ung Pagoda
- 1.1.7 Playing the huge Sun Wheel
- 1.1.8 Attending the Charming Da Nang show
- 1.1.9 Tasting a drink in a Sky Bar
- 1.1.10 Dragon Bridge and DHC Marina
- 1.1.11 Kayaking on the Han River
- 1.1.12 Helio Center for children
- 1.1.13 Nui Than Tai Thermal Park
- 1.1.14 Da Nang Museum
- 1.1.15 City tour on rickshaw
- 1.1.16 Visiting the Con Market (Chợ Cồn)
- 1.1.17 Discovering other sites around Da Nang: Hue, Hoi An, My Son
- 1.2 Where to eat in Da Nang? Local restaurants?
- 1.1 What to do in Da Nang? Top things to see and do in Da Nang.
Traveling to Da Nang
Da Nang is the fourth largest city in Vietnam. It is a young, modern and dynamic city. The streets in Da Nang are wide, clean and in which there are very few street vendors. It is very different from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
Da Nang is the favorite destination of Vietnamese families during the summer (May – September) because:
- Easy access from any city in Vietnam, and airline tickets cost only ~ 50usd
- The beaches are beautiful, the seafood is fresh, good and cheap
- It is easy to find a beautiful villa located near the beach and it is not expensive
- There are several markets, supermarkets, shopping centers for shopping
- There are several amusement parks for children.
The ancient city called Indrapura, capital of the Champa Kingdom between 875 and 978 is located near the city of Da Nang. During the colonial era, the French called the city Tourane. It was later occupied by the Americans.
Da Nang is 600km from south of Hanoi and north of Ho Chi Minh City. It is the most important city of central Vietnam and the transit point for visiting the Hoi An Ancient Town.
What to do in Da Nang? Top things to see and do in Da Nang.
Visiting the Museum of Cham Sculpture
This museum is highly recommended on your trip to Da Nang, better with a professional guide to know the art of the kingdom Champa.
The museum houses the most beautiful collection of antiques of Cham culture in the world.
- Ticket: 40 000 VND
- Address: 02 Street 02/09, Da Nang City, near the Dragon Bridge
- Opening Hours: 08.00 – 11.30 and 14.00 – 16.30
- Visiting Time: 1 hour
- Professional Guides speaking English and some other languages are available on site, for groups of more than 5 people.
- Rental of headphones with presentations in English (or some other languages): 20 000 VND
- Photography is allowed inside the museum
Discovering Ba Na Hills by cable car
Ba Na Hills is a favorite destination for Asian travelers and children.
Ba Na Hills is a recreational park at an altitude of 1500m, which is located 25km southwest of Da Nang. The climate here is cool all year round and we can enjoy four seasons in one day.
The Ba Na cable cars have the longest wire rope record in the world with a total length of more than 5,771 meters, they also have the world record for the highest difference height between departure and destination which is more than 1 369 meters, but also the longest fiber cable with a length of 11,587 meters and the heaviest cable rolls in the world with 141.24 tons.
It is an imaginary ground that allows you to dream in a wonderland setting where tourists find a huge change of scenery, a romantic magic.
The visit to Ba Na Hills is nice. You will meet many Vietnamese and Chinese tourists at Ba Na Hills.
- Major attractions include the country’s only Alpine Coaster (downhill luge), the Wax Statue Museum, the Linh Ung Pagoda with the largest Buddha statue in the area, restored French villas, recreation centers …
- Address: An Son Hamlet village, Hoa Ninh commune, Hoa Vang district, Da Nang .
- Website: banahills.sunworld.vn .Ticket: 22-25 USD.
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 21:30
- Visiting time: 7h00 The best time to visit: 09:00 – 16:00
Relaxing at the beautiful beaches in Da Nang
Da Nang has many huge pristine beaches with white sand and crystal clear blue water.
The beaches are good for swimming any time of year but the best time to swim is from May to August, when the waves are mild. On some beaches, lifeguard teams work from 5 am to 8 pm daily to ensure the safety of swimmers.
Pham Van Dong and My Khe are the two most popular beaches for locals and visitors alike.
My Khe Beach has been ranked in Forbes Magazine as one of the 6 most beautiful beaches in the world. It is an idyllic beach with smooth sand and gentle slope. Several hotels, restaurants, spas, supermarkets etc are found in front of this beach.
John Boutique Villa Apartment is an excellent hotel which is located just a 3-minute walk from Pham Van Dong Beach.
You will find more suggestions of good hotels located near the beaches below.
Visiting the Marble Mountains
It is a pleasant place to see: caves and pagodas, panoramic views of Da Nang, stone statues shops.
The Marble Mountains are 5 hills made of marble and limestone representing 5 elements by which universe would be constituted: water, wood, fire, metal, earth. They are 12km south of Da Nang City, on the way to Hoi An. From My Khe Beach, take the road along the beach and you will arrive at the Marble Mountains and then to Hoi An. You can rent a motorbike that cost about 100 000 VND to go there or take a taxi that will cost around 200,000 VND. You can use applications like Grabcar or Uber too. There are signs indicating the path.
Before reaching the Marble Mountains, you’ll see shops selling hundreds of stone statues on the side of the road.
On site, you can walk to visit caves and pagodas; or take the elevator to reach the highest point of the mountain from where you can enjoy a panoramic view of the city.
- Entry fees: 15,000 VND
- Elevator ticket: 30,000 VND, including entrance fee
Passing the Ocean Cloud Pass
The Ocean Cloud Pass (Hai Van Pass) was part of the Mandarin Route connecting North and South Vietnam during the feudal period. It is 500m above sea level, 20km long and meanders around the side of the Bach Ma Mountain.
Travelers prefer to take the route of Ocean Cloud Pass rather than the Hai Van Tunnel. From the pass, we can enjoy a breathtaking view of Lang Co Bay.
To pass the Cloud Pass, we can:
- Take the train Hue – Da Nang. This is nice. The ticket costs ~ $6. See schedules and prices here.
- Buy a ride at Le Family Riders. You will visit places on motorcycle. These are very interesting experiences for those who love adventure. During the trip between Hue and Hoi An, you will make some stops and visits.
- Rent a motorcycle and travel on the pass.
- Rent a private car with driver and travel on the pass.
Son Tra Peninsula and Linh Ung Pagoda
If you have more time in Da Nang, you can visit the Son Tra Peninsula in half a day. It is located 10km from the city center and young Vietnamese like to come by motorbike to admire the beautiful landscapes. From an altitude of 690m, we enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of the city of Da Nang.
The Son Tra Peninsula is a nature reserve which is home to abundant fauna and flora. In particular, one can find some small beautiful beaches surrounded by lush forest.
The Linh Ung Pagoda is also on the peninsula. The pagoda is famous for its 67m high Buddha statue which is the tallest in Vietnam and visible for miles around.
Playing the huge Sun Wheel
The good activity to do in the evening is to go out. From the Sun Wheel, one enjoys a breathtaking view of the city and the Dragon Bridge. The best time to go is maybe the sunset. With the entry fee of 50,000 VND, you can play other games in the amusement park.
Attending the Charming Da Nang show
The show ticket is quite expensive which is 800,000 VND and can be bought on site, before the show starts. The show is really worth it!
It is the place to know the traditional customs, history and culture of Vietnam through dance shows and songs with “ao dai” (traditional Vietnamese dress), “non la” (conical hat), lotus, Champa culture etc.
- Duration of the show: 70 minutes
- Ticket: 800 000 VND for foreigners
- Hours: 19.30 – 20.40 every day
- Address: 2 Cach Mang Thang Tam Street, Da Nang
- Dance: “Mysterious Champa”
- Song: Giac mo trua
- Dance and performance of traditional instruments from the Central Highlands of Vietnam.
- Traditional instrument performance (Dan Bau)
- Dance “The charming shadows”
- Song: Love in the beach city (Tinh yeu tren thanh pho bien)
- Dance: “Happy moments”
- Dance: “Lotus”
- Song: “Charming Da Nang”
- Dance: “Spring Dance Festival”.
See the schedule of events in Da Nang here: https://tourism.danang.vn/en/whats-on
Tasting a drink in a Sky Bar
There are several interesting bars in Da Nang where you can enjoy a drink while admiring the city from the top at night. Some well-known bars such as: Sky Bar 36, À La Carte Rooftop Bar, New Space Bar.
Sky Bar 36 is located on the 35-36th floor of the Novotel Danang Premier Han River Hotel, it is the highest skybar in Vietnam. It is the perfect place to contemplate the beauty of the sea, the poetic Han River and the majestic mountains.
- Address: Sky Bar 36, 35-36th floor of Novotel Danang Premier Han River Hotel, 36 Bach Dang Street, Da Nang
- Opening hours: 18.00 – 02.00
- Price of a drink: ~ 4 USD
Dragon Bridge and DHC Marina
From a length of 666m, the Dragon Bridge is the symbol of the city of Da Nang.
At 9 pm every weekend and holiday, you can see the performance of fire-breathing and water-breathing of the Dragon Bridge.
Sitting on the café at the Danang Riverside Hotel or at another coffee shop on the riverbank is the perfect way to watch the show.
Kayaking on the Han River
Some travelers enjoy kayaking on the Han River and see the city in a different way. Da Nang Kayak Club offers a few kayak tours: https://www.facebook.com/KayakDanang/. A lap of 17.00 – 19.00 costs 100,000 VND / person, a one-day tour costs between 250,000 – 300,000 VND.
Helio Center for children
Helio is the first multi-service center in Da Nang. It covers more than 35,000 m² and is located in downtown Da Nang. It is the perfect place for local residents and visitors to fully enjoy their moments of relaxation with their loved ones and friends.
The Helio Center is like a mysterious box that brings joy and smiles to everyone. It includes :
HELIO PLAY: The large games room with an area of 1000 m², equipped with the most modern gaming machines.
HELIO KIDS: The entertainment area for children from 2 to 9 years old. With an area of more than 2700 m², 42 simulation gaming rooms and playgrounds, Helio Kids is considered a paradise for entertainment and interactive learning for children.
FOOD AND DRINK.
- Address: Southeast Park Grand Memorial, 2/9 street, Da Nang
- Free admission
- Opening hours: weekdays (Monday to Friday): 5:30 pm to 10 pm
- Weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and public holidays: from 8:00 to 22:30
- Duration of visit: 2 hours
- Best time to visit: 7:00 pm
- Price range: 100,000 VND – 200,000 VND
Nui Than Tai Thermal Park
The park is located in the Ba Na Nui Chua Nature Reserve, not far from Ba Na Hills.
You can see: Long Huyet Lake, Vietnam’s largest natural stone baths, Long Tien Cave, Water Play Area, Gift Shops, Son Than Temple, flower gardens, pomelo garden, mango orchard, cold streams and waterfalls.
Da Nang Museum
If you have time and want to understand more about the city of Da Nang you can visit the Da Nang Museum.
With a display area of 3000m², the museum presents more than 2,500 objects and valuable documents on the subjects of the natural and social history of Da Nang; the history of revolutionary struggles, the cultural characteristics of ethnic groups in Da Nang and Quang Nam.
- Address: 24 Tran Phu Street, Da Nang
- Ticket: ~ 1 USD
- Opening hours: 07.30 – 11.30 and 01.30 – 04.30pm daily except Monday
- Duration of visit: 1 hour
City tour on rickshaw
The city of Da Nang is not big and a rickshaw ride is nice. We can make the itineraries as follows:
- Route 1: Cham sculpture museum – Bach Dang street – Dong Da street – Ong Ich Khiem street – Hung Vuong street – Tran Phu street – Cham sculpture museum
- Route 2: Cham sculpture museum – Le Dinh Duong street – Ong Ich Khiem street – Hung Vuong street – Tran Phu street – Cham sculpture museum
Duration of the tour: 1 hour
Price: ~ 4 USD
In the evening, pedicabs park in Bach Dang Street and serve on request.
Visiting the Con Market (Chợ Cồn)
There are several supermarkets and shopping centers for shopping in Da Nang. To see the daily activities of locals or sample some of Da Nang’s typical dishes, travelers can visit the Cồn and Han markets. Prices at the Cồn Market are milder.
Address: Ong Ich Khiem Street 270, Da Nang
Discovering other sites around Da Nang: Hue, Hoi An, My Son
In the Da Nang area, we also visit Hue – the ancient capital of Vietnam, Hoi An – another UNESCO site and the My Son Sanctuary.
Where to eat in Da Nang? Local restaurants?
One of the “must-do” in Da Nang is to enjoy fresh seafood and local cuisine that is good and varied. Here are the addresses recommended by the locals.
“Bánh xèo” (crepe made from rice flour, folded in half and garnished with sliced or minced pork, shrimp, seeds and bean sprouts) at Bà Dưỡng. Address: K280 / 23 Hoàng Diệu Street, Hải Châu Dis., Da Nang. The restaurant is open from 10.00 to 21.00.
“Bánh tráng cuốn thịt heo” (pork meat rolled in a rice cake) at Trần restaurant, at 4, Lê Duẩn Str., Dis. Hải Châu, Da Nang. Or another restaurant to taste this typical Da Nang dish: at 35 Đỗ Thúc Tịnh Street, Cẩm Lệ Dis., Da Nang. This restaurant is open from 08.00 – 22.30. That’s my favorite meal.
“Mì Quảng” (shrimp noodle soup) in a restaurant by chance. If not, here are some good addresses: Bà Huệ at 134/6 Yên Bái Street; a restaurant at 155 Triệu Nữ Vương Street; another at 1A Hải Phòng Street.
“Ram cuốn lá cải” (nem wrapped in vegetable leaf and rice cake) Dì Hoa, K231 / 10, Lê Duẩn str., Hải Châu dis., Da Nang. The restaurant is open from 16.00-21.00.
“Bún mắm” (noodle soup) at Ba Thuyen at K424 / 03, Lê Duẩn str., Hải Châu dis., Da Nang. The restaurant is open from 06.00 to 23.00.
Seafood: at Bé Mặn. Address: Lô 11 & lô 14 Võ Nguyên Giáp Street, Sơn Trà dis., Da Nang. The seafood is fresh, good and the prices are affordable. Another restaurant which is very well known for its quality: Năm Đảnh Seafood. Address: K139 / H59 / 38 Trần Quang Khải Street, Sơn Trà dis.. It is open from 10.00 to 22.00 but is very populous. You have to come early to get a table. A plate of seafood costs only 60 000 VND.
The best hotels in Da Nang?
Vanda hotel – 50 €
Avora hotel – 30 €
Nice hostel: Kon-Tiki DaNang Hostel
How to get to / from Da Nang?
To get around in Da Nang, you can rent a bike that costs only 100,000 VND per day, at your hotel. If not, you can use applications such as Grabcar, Uber. Taxis in Da Nang cost even more than in Hanoi.
You can also rent a private car with driver at a local travel agency, for example Jasmin Travel.
- Hanoi – Da Nang / Da Nang – Hanoi by train, bus, plane
You can go from Hanoi to Da Nang and vice versa by train, bus or plane. The plane is more advisable option because of the great distance.
- Ho Chi Minh City – Da Nang / Da Nang – Ho Chi Minh City by plane, bus, train
Similarly, the distance between Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang is also great. All means of transport: bus, train, plane are possible but traveling by plane is more advisable.
Da Nang Airport
Da Nang Airport is located 4km from the Dragon Bridge. If your hotel is near the Dragon Bridge, a taxi ride from the airport costs only about 4USD. If your hotel is near the beach, the taxi fare is more expensive.
Anarchs in Da Nang is very rare but if you meet taxi anarchists, do not hesitate to call +84 919.247009. The staff of the Da Nang Tourism Department will help you.
Da Nang Airport also serves international routes: Da Nang – Siem Reap, Da Nang – Singapore, Da Nang – Seoul …
Climate in Da Nang
Most travelers arrive in Da Nang during the summer (May – September) when the waters are not cold and the sea waves are milder.
The average temperature in Da Nang is 25.9 ° C. The hottest months in Da Nang: June, July, August. The temperatures during these months vary between 28-30 ° C. The coldest months in Da Nang: December, January, February. The temperatures during these months vary between 18-23 ° C. It rains most in Da Nang during the months of October and November.
Da Nang is a good choice for a family trip and for a solo traveler who also has time in Vietnam. Leave a comment if you have any questions.